Sunday, July 10, 2011

E.l.f. x Mac x Parian Spirit Brush cleaner Comparison and Review



I've been using the MAC Brush Cleanser for quite a while now as an on the spot brush cleaner and a deep cleaner at the end of every week. I've been very satisfied so far but after purchasing a bottle of Parian Spirit Brush Cleaner from IMATS LA 2011 and a bottle of E.l.f.'s Brush Shampoo online I felt like doing a comparison between the three anti-bacterial cleaners.

Keep in mind I used three different duo fiber brushes:
  • MAC 187 (goat and synthetic fibres)
  • Ecotools Finishing Brush from the Alicia Silverstone Collection (synthetic taklon bristles)
  • MUFE 55N (goat and nylon bristles)



All three brushes are of similar size, length and density. I used each brush one time to apply MUFE HD Foundation to my face. Then I washed each brush with a different cleaner for a minute each to compare how clean they would get.


1. E.l.f. brush shampoo ($3 US for 4.1 oz) and the MAC 187 brush. I only used about a dime sized amount of the shampoo. Dampened the brush and swirled away! I typically like to clean my brush against my palm.



Directions from E.l.f:
  • Cleanse brush regularly by massaging a small amount of the shampoo with water and working it through the bristle from the base of the brush outward.
  • Rinse thoroughly and gently squeeze out excess water.
  • Reshape the bristles and lay flat on a clean cloth to fully dry before next use.
2. MAC Brush Cleanser ($12 US for 7.9 oz) and the Ecotools Brush. I filled my palm with about an ounce of cleaner and swirled away. I actually like the subtle alcohol/"cleaner" scent that this cleanser has. I did need a lot more cleaner to clean this brush as the brush absorbed all the cleaner I had in the palm of my hand and even after cleaning the brush for a minute there was still some residue left.



Directions from MAC:
Brush Cleanser leaves your brushes smelling fresh and clean, and helps shorten their drying time. Apply to damp brushes and work through. Rince well, reshape and lay flat to dry.

3. Parian Spirit Brush Cleaner ($11.99 US for 8 oz.) and the MUFE 55N brush. Again, I filled my palm with an ounce of cleaner and swirled away. The citrus scent was definitely overwhelming for me. Just like the MAC brush cleanser I had to use a good amount of product to get the brush clean.



Directions from Parian Spirit:
Pour just enough into a glass jar to cover the bristles of the brush. Swirl brush til clean. Dry with paper towel or terry cloth. (*For this review I did NOT put in in a glass jar)


After I cleaned and washed out each brush I swept each brush on a paper towel and here are the results:

(L-R) E.l.f Brush Shampoo left no residue, MAC Brush Cleanser left an obvious amount, Parian Spirit Brush Cleaner left some residue but left a citrus scent.

Overall I think the E.l.f. Brush Shampoo does a better job and removing product off of a brush. Considering the tiny amount of product I used and its price I will probably use it again for deep cleaning. You really have to rinse it out well but it does clean your brush. The MAC Brush Cleanser is still my fave. It get's the job done but I go through it like crazy since you need a lot of the cleaner to fully clean a brush. The Parian Spirit Brush Cleaner is just as great but the citrus scent is a turn off for me. My MUFE 55N brush STILL SMELLS LIKE CITRUS. The E.l.f. Brush Shampoo left no scent and I can say the same for the MAC Brush Cleanser even though there's a hint of alcohol while cleaning.

Hope you guys found this helpful! Feel free to ask questions, comment, etc. and don't forget to check out my YouTube channel: The Sake of Vanity.

No comments: